Hello, everyone. I missed you! I hope everything is excellent and everyone excels. I’m back with your new edition of the Decatur-Avondale Estates Daily. Drop by to find out everything you need to know about what’s happening in the city these days. In today’s issue you will find these stories and more…
- Funding from the DeKalb district’s Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST) is being used sensibly
- A 20-year-old Decatur man and a 23-year-old Nevada man were granted bail after they were arrested during a riot in downtown Atlanta on Saturday
- The DeKalb Board of Directors for Registration and Elections administers an in-person meeting
But first today’s weather:
times of clouds and sunshine. High: 53 Low: 41.
Check out what our local sponsor can do for you:
Do you suffer from peripheral neuropathy due to diabetes, autoimmune diseases or even chemotherapy? Decatur residents have a new option to treat the pain, tingling and numbness associated with peripheral neuropathy as the RealWave Neuropathy Treatment Centers open December 30. With a special non-invasive ultrasound machine, 89% of patients treated experience symptom relief in 12 weeks or less – and this is covered by Medicare and many insurance plans. Visit them here to learn more or call 877-301-3441.
Would you like to see your company here? Click here to start.
Here are today’s top stories at Decatur-Avondale Estates:
- The DeKalb Board of Directors for Registration and Elections will hold an in-person meeting on Friday, January 27, 2023 at 1:00 p.m This meeting was originally scheduled for Thursday, January 12, 2023 but was postponed due to turbulent weather conditions. DeKalb voter registration and voting office is located in 300, 4380 Memorial Drive, in Decatur. All public comments can be made either in person or via email. Email submissions can be sent to [email protected] Submissions must be no longer than one page, must be received between 1:00 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. on the day of the meeting, the person’s first and last name must be included in the body of the email along with their address. (press office)
- Funds from DeKalb County’s Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST) will be used to improve sidewalks and bicycle traffic. The program aims to increase safety and provide a more pleasant experience for pedestrians and cyclists. Work will be carried out on North Decatur Road between Lullwater Road and East Rock Springs Road. The North Decatur Road project improvements begin at Springdale Road and end at Oakdale Road. Upgrades include improvements to lane alignment, lighting, and visibility. (Decaturish.com)
- Decatur resident Graham Evatt, 20, and Nevada resident Ivan Ferguson, 23, were both posted on bail of over $355,000 Monday morning. after being arrested during a riot in downtown Atlanta on Saturday night. Four other suspects were denied bail. All six were charged with four misdemeanors and four felonies, including riot, pedestrian in a lane, willful obstruction of a law enforcement officer and unlawful assembly. (FOX 5 Atlanta)
- Red Line service provided by Marta, Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority, will be suspended from Friday, February 17 at 9:00 p.m. through Wednesday, February 22. During this time the tracks will be replaced. Marta service south of Medical Center Station will also be suspended, and service to the airport will be limited February 23-36. Complimentary bus shuttles operate between Medical Center, Buckhead and Lenox stations, and a $10 Lyft or Uber voucher is provided through MARTAConnect. (Decaturish.com)
Today at Decatur-Avondale Estates:
- Take & Make Penguin Bookmark – DeKalb County Public Library (10:00 a.m.)
- Debt Clinic – Decatur Library (5:30pm)
- DHS Wrestling @ Wesleyan – Decatur High School (5:30 p.m.)
- Webinar – StartSmart DeKalb (8 class series) (6:00 p.m.)
- Varsity Basketball VS CHAMBLEE – Decatur High School (6:00 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- If you are lFind a fulfilling volunteer position that would help overcome food insecurity The Decatur Education Foundation may also be looking for you in our community. They are looking for a weekend grocery bag coordinator/committee to help assemble and deliver grocery bags to schools. (The Decatur Education Foundation via Facebook)
- As the Junior League of DeKalb County concludes National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month in the United States, They take a moment to thank those who have worked on the front lines to end human trafficking. (DeKalb County, Inc. junior league via Facebook)
- Karyn Bigelow, Co-Executive Director of Creation Justice Ministries, will be the keynote speaker at the Green Team Summit. Karyn received her Masters of Divinity from Pittsburg Theological Seminary and was once a policy advisor and research analyst at Bread for the World. Interested parties can register at gipl.org/gts23. (Georgia Interfaith Power & Light via Facebook)
- The SHS BASKETBALL PROGRAM is hosting a Double Good Popcorn 🍿 fundraiser. Interested parties can click the link if they want to buy popcorn to support. https://s.dgpopup.com/fu54a4a5″ (next door)
More from our sponsors – thanks for supporting local news!
Now you’re on the ball and ready to get started this Tuesday! I’ll be back in your inbox tomorrow with a new update.
— Cherryl Young / MamaNyeMatters
About me: Cherryl Young DBA MamaNyeMatters. I was born in Providence, Rhode Island and moved to Georgia in 2017. My first children’s book, You Are the Pot of Gold at the End of the Rainbow, was published in 2021. https://www.mamanyematters.com… I have worked in Atlanta and Gwinnett County Public Schools helping children with special needs. I studied Community Development at Roger Williams University in Rhode Island. My purpose in life is to connect, create, inspire, write and expand and I’m ELATED to be here as a contributing author @ Patch! travel with me…
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Decatur-Avondale Estates Daily? Contact me at [email protected]