BOONE, N.C.– The two youngest Sun Belt champions will meet for the first time of the 2022-23 season when App State men’s basketball hosts Georgia State Thursday at 6:30 p.m. at the Holmes Center.
The competition will be streamed live on ESPN+, with live stats and listening options to follow along.
- This will be the 20th meeting between the two schools in a row, led by Georgia State 10-9.
- Georgia State defeated App State in the second round of the 2022 SBC Tournament 66-71. The Panthers defeated Louisiana in the championship game.
- The previous season, the Mountaineers had defeated the Panthers 80-71 in the SBC championship game.
DETECT CLIMBERS (11-10, 4-4 SBC)
- In each of the last two games, App State had their two best personal scoring performances of the season. Dibaji Walker posted a career-high 27 points at Coastal Carolina followed by a career-high 28 points Terence Harkum at Old Dominion.
- App State ranks 33rd in the nation in field goal defense percentage and leads the Sun Belt. The Mountaineers kept their opponents off the field 39.9% of the time.
- Donovan Gregory is seventh in the free-throw shooting conference averaging 78% (56-72). During the Sun Belt games, Harcum averages an 85% (22-26), the second best clip of the conference.
- Xavion Brown has started the last three games for Black & Gold. Brown has recorded 20 points, 14 rebounds, 10 assists and five steals and his first three starting chances of the season.
RECOGNIZE THE PANTHERS (9-11, 2-6 SBC)
- Georgia State has won just a quarter of its league games this season, defeating South Alabama and Coastal Carolina. Last weekend the Panthers fell to Old Dominion and Georgia Southern.
- Brenden Tucker has become Georgia State’s leading scorer during conference plays, averaging 14.5 points per game. The junior posted a season-high 25 against ULM and 21 against Troy.
- The Panthers have conceded just 64.2 points per game this season, which is the second-best rate in the conference.
- Omar El-Sheikh has been in paint this season, averaging 13.5 points and 7.4 rebounds.
Single-game tickets for App State home games can be purchased here.
The Mountaineers host Arkansas State in a doubleheader with the women’s basketball team at 4:30 p.m. Saturday. Next week, App State will host Marshall (February 2) and James Madison (February 4).