Oscar Piastri will join Lando Norris at McLaren for the 2023 season, as determined by the Contract Recognition Board (CRB). A valid contract for next year.
The CRB met on Monday over a dispute between McLaren and Alpine over which of the two teams holds the valid contract for defending F2 champion and current Alpine reserve driver Piastri – Alpine claims that in Fernando After Alonso’s departure from Aston, Martin said in August that Piastri would drive for them in 2023, but Piastri refuted that claim.
Just before free practice 2 at the Dutch Grand Prix, the FIA announced that the tribunal had “issued a unanimous decision that the only contract recognised by the board was between McLaren Racing Ltd and Mr Piastrie in July 2022. contract signed on the 4th”.
The ruling added: “Mr Piastri is entitled to drive for McLaren Racing Limited for the 2023 and 2024 seasons.”
READ MORE: Alonso says ‘strange feeling’ of protracted Alpine talks led to Aston switch shock
This tweet has been removed from Twitter
Just after the ruling, McLaren confirmed that Piastri would indeed drive for the team in 2023 to replace Daniel Ricciardo, who agreed to leave McLaren ahead of the Belgian Grand Prix at the end of 2022.
“I am absolutely delighted to make my F1 debut with such a prestigious team as McLaren and I am very grateful for the opportunity provided to me,” Piastri said in a statement. I look forward to working with Lando to push the team to the front of the grid. I am focused on preparing for my F1 debut in 2023 and starting my F1 career at Papaya.”
WATCH: Wins, overtakes and two titles in a row – Oscar Piastri’s best moments so far in his career
“The entire team is delighted to welcome Oscar to McLaren for the 2023 F1 season,” added McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl. “His racing career has been impressive so far and we believe that together with Lando, he will be able to help us take another step towards our ambitions.
“We still have an important job to do this season and the team remains focused on it, and then we will make sure Oscar is integrated as quickly as possible and ready for the challenges ahead. We look forward to doing it together for an exciting 2023 season Prepare.”
Meanwhile, in response to the CRB’s decision, a statement from Alpine said: “The BWT Alpine F1 Team would like to thank the Contract Recognition Board (CRB) for meeting on Monday and we acknowledge the decision they have taken.
READ MORE: McLaren boss Seidel reveals key factors behind Piastri signing – and says CRB ruling ‘not surprising’
“We think this is over and will announce our full driver line-up for 2023 in due course.
“Our priority is the Dutch Grand Prix and the race for fourth place in the constructors’ championship.”