If you have one, it is vital that you know how to update an iPhone. A big deal is always being made about the upcoming major iterations of iOS, mainly because of the amazing new features that Apple is always introducing into them. However, it’s not just the big releases or jazzy features that should push you to learn how to update iOS.
Every single iPhone update, whether it’s a new integer like iOS 16 or an interim update like iOS 15.6.1, contains optimizations that will help your iPhone run smoother and security patches that will make it the most safe as possible. For these reasons, you should learn to update your iPhone regularly to make sure your device holds its place as one of the best phones around. Better yet, you should also learn how to automatically update an iPhone, as that will take all the leg work out of the process. We will show you how to do both here.
Let’s get to the point then. Here’s how to update an iPhone.
How to update an iPhone
- Charge your device if possible
- Connect to Wi-Fi if possible
- Open the Settings app and tap General
- Tap Software Update
- If an update is available, tap Download and Install
- Enter your access code
- Once downloaded, tap Install Now
Read on to see more detailed instructions for each step.
1. Make sure your device is charging and connected to Wi-Fi. Neither is strictly necessary – we installed this update while not plugged into a power source, so if you have a fully charged battery and are installing a smaller update, you probably won’t run out of power. However, it’s probably best to link, especially for large updates. Likewise, you can use cellular data to download the update, but Wi-Fi is recommended if you don’t have spare data or an unlimited data plan.
2. Open the Settings appthen tap General.
3. Tap Software Update.
4. If an update (or more than one) is available, Tap Download and Install.
5. Enter your access codeif requested.
6. When asked if you want to use cellular data, select your choice. If you don’t have any backup data or don’t have an unlimited data plan, tap Don’t use cellular data.
7. Once the update is downloaded, Tap Install Now.
8. The update will install and your device will likely reboot. This may take some time. Be patient And do not turn off the device manually.
9. Return to the Software Update menu. It should now tell you that iOS is up to date. Optional: To set your device to update automatically, tap Automatic Updates at the top of the screen.
10. Turn on Download iOS Updates to on.
11. Turn on both switches. Your device will now automatically update when connected to a power source and Wi-Fi network.
Now you know how to update an iPhone and how to update iOS automatically. Now you can sleep soundly in the knowledge that your phone is as optimized and secure as Apple can make it. If you’d like more tips on how to get the most out of your iPhone, our extensive range of tutorials has you covered. New iPhone? find out how to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone. Did you drop your iPhone in the toilet? You will need to learn how to expel water from an iPhone. Bored of the stock iPhone ringtone? Find out how to set a ringtone on iPhone. Does auto macro mode bother you? Here’s how to turn off auto macro mode on iPhone.