Japan vs. USMNT
September 23, 2022
Düsseldorf Arena, Düsseldorf, Germany
Pregame coverage: 8AM ET on ESPN2, ESPN+; 8:20AM ET on UniMás, TUDN
Kickoff: 8:26 ET on ESPN2, ESPN+, UniMás, TUDN
Social Media: @USMNT Twitter and Instagram; American football Facebook american football app
Today’s USMNT starting XI against Japan: 1-Matt Turner, 2-Sergino Durst, 3-Walker Zimmerman (captain), 4-Taylor Adams, 5-Aaron Long, 6-Sam Wei Enns, 8-Weston McKenney, 9-Jesus Ferreira, 11-Brendon Aronson, 14-Luca de la Torre, 21-Giorena
Substitutes: 18-Ethan Horvat, 25-Sean Johnson, 7-Paul Ariola, 12-Eric Palmer-Brown, 13-Jordan Morris, 15-Johnny Card Dosso, 16-Mark McKenzie, 17-Malik-Tillman, 19-Ricardo-Pepi, 20-Reggie Cannon, 22-DeAndre Yedlin, 23- Kalyn Acosta, 24-Josh Sargent, 26-Joe Sculley
game notes | Five things about Japan
- USMNT starting lineup (including this game): Weston McEnany (36), Walker Zimmerman (32), Tyler Adams (31), Aaron Long (28), Brendon J. Aronson (23), Matt Turner (19), Sergino Durst (18), Jesus Ferreira (14), Gio Reina (13), Luca De La Torre (12), Sam Wiens (9)
- Today’s starting lineup has an average age of 24 years and 143 days, with an average cap of 20.
- Striker Gio Reyna makes his first international start in more than a year, the last in a 0-0 draw in El Salvador in a 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifier on September 2, 2021 . Reina wore the number 21 today, the same number that his father Claudio wore for the USMNT 42 times, including at the 1998 FIFA World Cup.
- Defender Sam Wiens makes his USMNT debut since the U.S.Coffee Gold Cup final against Mexico on August 1, 2021, and his first start since the semifinal against Qatar on July 29, 2021. Thanks to the presence of this year’s World Cup hosts, Vines is the only USMNT starter to have played against an AFC opponent.
- After missing the March and June international windows, defender Sergino Durst is making his debut since a World Cup qualifier in Canada on January 30.
- Walker Zimmerman captained for the sixth time today.
- Tyler Adams, Luca de la Torre and Weston McKennie made their first midfield starts today.
- The strikers of Brenden Aaronson, Jesús Ferreira and Gio Reyna also started together for the first time today.
- Jesús Ferreira leads all USMNT players with 5 goals in 8 matches in 2022.
- Aaron Long and Walker Zimmerman at centre back at No. 10th time. When the pair of veterans are combined in the backline, the USMNT is 7-1-1.
- The three starters have represented clubs in Germany. Gio Reina has been with Borussia Dortmund since 2019, Weston McKenney has been with Schalke from 2017 to 2020 and Tyler Adams is with RB Leipzig from 2019 to 2022.
- If he plays tonight, midfielder Kylin Acosta will be in the country where his father and grandmother were born.
- Christian Pulisic was dropped from today’s roster following a blow he took in training earlier this week. He will have his daily assessment in Spain’s match against Saudi Arabia in Murcia on September 27.
- The USMNT will be 25 players, while Japan will be 26 for today’s game. Six substitutions were allowed on three separate occasions. Intermissions do not count as substitution time.
- The USMNT is 1-1-0 against Japan.This Samurai Blue The first meeting was won 3-1 in Tokyo on March 14, 1993. On February 10, 2006, Team USA won its final game 3-2 in San Francisco.
- Led by Gregg Berhalter, the USMNT is 36-9-9 in 54 games.
- Today’s game marked the team’s third neutral ground friendly against Berhalter. The United States defeated Panama 6-2 on November 16, 2020 and Jamaica 4-1 on March 25, 2021. Both games were played in Wiener Neustadt, Austria.
- Felix Zwayer of Germany is the referee for tonight’s game. This is his first time hosting a USMNT competition.