Football coaching hires and basketball action for both programs once again dominated the Texas Longhorns’ headlines for the past 24 hours. Texas football has gotten the news cycle going in recent days thanks to two notable coaching appointments.
On January 23, head coach Steve Sarkisian and the Longhorns made official the hiring of former LBJ head football coach Jahmal Fenner as the next director of high school relations.
And then the Longhorns continued to announce coaching appointments by making public the replacement for Brennan Marion. Texas officially announced on Jan. 24 the hiring of former Jacksonville Jaguars wide receivers first-year coach Chris Jackson.
Jackson appeared to be the top pick for the Longhorns to replace Marion as wide receivers coach for the past week or so. And with the Jaguars eliminated from the NFL playoffs in the divisional round last weekend after a one-point loss to the Kansas City Chiefs, this week seemed like the right time for the hiring.
This will be Jackson’s first time coaching at the collegiate level. He spent the last few years with the Jags and the Chicago Bears as an assistant coach in the NFL.
In the Hoops news, the Texas men’s team recorded a very convincing home win against the Oklahoma State Cowboys on Jan. 24 at the Moody Center. Standout guard Marcus Carr led the Longhorns by 21 points in a comfortable 89-75 win.
Solid performances by Carr and the Longhorns led to that team winning Oklahoma State for the regular-season series.
More Texas Longhorns news on January 25th
- The women’s baskets return to the Moody Center on Jan. 25 for a highly anticipated matchup in Red River against the No. 14 Oklahoma Sooners. Texas will be looking for their second straight win if they can top Oklahoma at Red River.
- Tanner Witt and Lucas Gordon of the Texas baseball team were both selected as Preseason All-Big 12 Team Honorees.
- According to Texassports.com, Mia Scott was a sophomore selected as part of the USA Softball Top 50 Watch List for the 2023 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year.
- Julien Alfred for Texas Athletics was named Big 12 Performer of the Week. She almost broke an NCAA record in the 60-meter dash last week.
- Additional weekly Big 12 honors were given to an outstanding longhorn in women’s tennis. Charlotte Chavatipon was named Big 12 Player of the Week.
News about the Big 12
- The Big 12 had another wild night in hoops. Another top-five team hit the road when the No. 12 Iowa State Cyclones led the No. 5 Kansas State Wildcats 80-76 on Jan. 24 at the Hilton Coliseum in Ames.
- Oklahoma State Football announced its next hire as defensive coordinator to replace Derek Mason. Bryan Nardo, former Gannon University defensive coordinator and coach of the Youngstown State linebackers, was the pick for head coach Mike Gundy and the Pokes.
- A few days ago, Athlon Sports released its early Big 12 soccer predictions for the 2023 season. Athlon let Texas win the Big 12, with defending runners-up TCU Horned Frogs and the Oklahoma Sooners rounding out the top 3 in that order.
What we read at FanSided
- FanSided’s Matt Verderame ranked among the last 32 first overall picks in NFL mock draft style, while Peyton Manning finished at No. 1.
- Ole Hotty Toddy: Transfers don’t win college football championships, despite some of the impressive moves Ole Miss head coach Lane Kiffin has made at the portal over the past few offseasons.
- Husker Corner: A former Husker explains “why Brett Maher is better than you”.