It was intended to be a relaxing getaway to explore stunning World Heritage listed K’gari (Fraser Island).
But while British tourists Ben and his partner Georgia* made it an unforgettable experience for all the wrong reasons, he now has some invaluable advice to offer.
WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: A British tourist’s shocking snakebite at K’gari (Fraser Island).
Check out the latest news and stream for free on 7plus >>
“Three things travelers like me should keep in mind going forward: In Australia, wear thick, high boots when walking through the bush, always wear a bite set and expect snakes to be everywhere,” Ben, 29, told 7NEWS.com. Ouch
While camping on the Queensland, Ben woke up early on Saturday and sent his drone flying – only to crash it into sand dunes above the camp.
So he put on his running shoes and trudged up the dunes.
“As I walked from the sand to the grass, my mind was on recovering the drone,” he said.
“I managed to find the drone at the top of the dune and went back down. I’ve watched nature shows my whole life and I like to stay sane, especially in Australia.
“I’m not sure if it was the adrenaline of getting the drone back or assuming there wouldn’t be any snakes on the beach, but I just didn’t even question it until I got pretty deep into this dark thing.” kicked in the grass. felt like a sharp pain looked at my ankle and saw blood.”
His worst fears were confirmed when he returned to his 4WD and checked his ankle.
When he saw the fang marks, he had the “sudden realization” that “long grass plus summer equals snakes.”
Both he and George “sat like frozen”.
They had no phone reception and the tide was in, meaning they were stuck at the campsite.
He put pressure on his ankle while his partner ran to a nearby family of campers.
“She explained what had happened and immediately this nice lady rushed over to me with a bite kit, she told me not to move, wrapped the bite in a bandage, circled the bite site and wrote the time of the bite on the .” Bandage,” Ben said.
“They were told the day before that an eastern brown snake had been sighted right at the campsite so we had to move.
“Her husband Dan and his friend Lloyd carried me into the back of his new Landcruiser and took us over the rocks on the beach to the nearest emergency phone.
“They called the emergency services, we were told an ambulance was on its way and we were told not to move as there was a risk of further poisoning.”
Ben says a RACQ LifeFlight helicopter arrived about 40 minutes later and had to land some distance away because of the high tide.
He was flown to Hervey Bay Hospital without Georgia, where his blood was monitored – and it was found he had “happily escaped”.
“Both fangs had hit the knuckle perfectly so no venom was injected,” Ben said.
However, their ordeal didn’t end there. When Georgia drove her RV to the hospital, the vehicle’s clutch snapped.
A “couple of guys” helped her push the van to the side of the road.
“We booked a 3 day tour of Fraser Island and only made it on the first one. Our trip was cut short but it was one hell of a story to tell.
“Seriously, that hasn’t changed my attitude about anything. I love Australia and will continue to explore it.”
* Ben and Georgia chose not to reveal their last names
https://7news.com.au/news/snakes/uk-tourist-tells-of-being-bitten-by-snake-on-queenslands-kgari-fraser-island-c-9544385 TikTok about a British tourist who was bitten by him A snake on Kgari (Fraser Island) in Queensland is going viral