February 3, 2023

In recent years, Acadia National Park has transformed from a quiet Maine oasis into a draw for crowds that rival the opening of Disney World. But visitors already planning their trips to the hugely popular national park may encounter something new in 2023; a higher entrance fee.

Picturesque view of the impressive natural landscape in Acadia National Park

Cheri Alguire

According to Parkplanning.gov, the National Park Service has requested an increase in admission prices for Acadia National Park. Due to increased traffic, maintenance within the park has become more expensive. Another side effect of more visitors was the need to make improvements to improve the experience at the park.

Bridge in Acadia NP

Miro Vrlik

The National Park Service has requested these fee increases:

  • Individual: From $15 to $20
  • Vehicle: From $30 to $35
  • Motorbike: From $25 to $30
  • Annual Pass: From $55 to $70

The public has until December 29 to comment on the proposed fee increase. For the sake of transparency, approximately 80% of the entrance fees collected stay with Acadia National Park. The remaining 20% ​​is distributed to other national parks that bring in fewer gates of entry.

Boardwalk in Jordan Pond, Bubble Mountains in the background

Ronibenian

Acadia entrance fees have been instrumental in funding many of the park’s improvements in recent years. These include the completion of new trails, the installation of the bog trail and the replacement of some bridges throughout the park’s trail system. Parking facilities such as camping toilets and hazard trees in high traffic areas have also been significantly improved.

If the fee increase is approved, Acadia National Park will join Yellowstone, Yosemite and the Grand Canyon as the most expensive national parks in America.


RANKING: Here are the most popular national parks

To determine the most popular national parks in the United States, Stacker compiled data from the National Park Service on the number of recreational visits to each location in 2020. Read on to discover the 50 most popular national parks in the United States in reverse order from #50 to #1. And be sure to check with individual parks before you visit to learn about ongoing pandemic-related safety precautions at www.nps .gov/coronavirus.

The Settlement Quarry Preserve in Stonington looks like a post-apocalyptic wasteland

The small town of Stonington has a nature preserve with great hiking trails, panoramic ocean views, and some of the strangest rock formations you’ll find in Maine

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *