James Madison Dukes (17-3, 7-1 SBC) vs. Coastal Carolina (9-10, 4-4 SBC)
January 26, 2023 – 6 p.m
Conway, SC – HTC Center
Live Stats · ESPN+ · Audio Broadcast
JMU Game Notes Coastal Carolina Notes
JMUSports.com · @JMUWBasketball · #GoDukes
GoCCUSports.com · @CoastalWBB
- James Madison set out to take on Coastal Carolina on Thursday, January 26th. The game is scheduled for 6 p.m. and will be streamed on ESPN+.
- After losing 69-65 at home to Georgia Southern (Jan. 19), the Dukes bounced back on Jan. 21 with an 80-79 win over Troy. Junior Guard Peyton McDaniel (28) and Senior Guard Kiki Jefferson (21) combined for 49 points in the win.
- McDaniel’s 28 points was a season-high as she defeated her second straight game 6-of-11 (54.5%). Additionally, the junior tied her season-high with nine rebounds. Thirteen of Jefferson’s 21 points came in the fourth quarter, highlighted by a perfect 4-on-4 from the line. graduate student Caroline Germond dished out a career-high 10 assists and grabbed the top five boards of the season. juniors Ksenia Kozlova and Kobe King-Hawea added 10 and nine points respectively.
- James Madison ranks in the top 25 nationally in four categories: defensive rebounds per game (18th – 30.2%), field goal defense percentage (19th – 35.2%), rebound margin (19th – +9th .0) and rebounds per game (22nd – 42.55).
- Jefferson is sixth in the NCAA in free throws (116) and sixth in attempts (145). She is also third in the SBC in scoring (17.8), fourth in free throw percentage (80.0%), and fifth in rebounding (8.1).
- McDaniel is ranked 11th in the country with 45.6% on the three-point percentage, beating 47 of 103 from the deep.
- Germond, who has 27 assists in his last four games, ranks 11th in the nation with a 2.62 assist-to-turnover ratio.
- JMU has eight Sun Belt Conference top 3 marks: opponent field goal percentage (1st – 35.2%), opponent 3 point percentage (1st – 27.0%), opponent rebounds ( 1st – 33.5 rpg), Scoring Advantage (2nd – +12.1), Field Goal Percentage (2nd – 42.6%), Scoring Offense (3rd – 71.2 ppg), Free Throw Percentage (3rd – 73.0%) and rebounds (3rd – 42.6 rpg).
RECOGNIZING THE CHANTICLEERS
- Coastal Carolina owns a 9-10 record with a 4-4 mark in Sun Belt play. The team has been finding success lately, winning three of their last four games.
- Most recently, the Chanticleers fell on the road to App State on Jan. 21, 81-74. The Mountaineers outplayed CCU 43-30 in the second half, highlighted by a 22-6 in the third quarter.
- Coastal Carolina is led by graduate student Aja Blount, who leads the conference in free throw percentage (90.6%), ranks third in rebound (8.2 rpg), and rounds out the top five in scoring ( 15.7 ppg).
- The Chanticleers are the second most efficient three-point team in the conference, shooting 32.3% from behind the arc. Head coach Kevin Pederson’s team is also second in the league for free throw percentage (74.3%) and third for assists per game (14.21).
- Thursday’s game marks the third time James Madison meets Coastal Carolina in which the Dukes have a 2-0 lead.
- JMU and CCU faced off earlier in the season on December 29th. head coach sean O’ReganThe team from prevailed with a 77:56 victory.
- The upcoming game will mark the first time this season that the Dukes will play a second time against a Sun Belt team.
- The Dukes will be headed for a rematch against Georgia State on Jan. 28. Tip time is set at 2pm and will stream on ESPN+.